Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Day 6: I cannot believe the things I am writing here

So much to unpack today. Slate has a good overview of the day, including deconstructions of the heinous language used by the administration. I'll try to keep these brief...
There were two executive actions from today, insofar as I can tell. Most articles lump them together, so I've linked the raw texts below.
  • Build that wall. Ugh. Also calls for 5,000 additional border patrolmen, and construction of new detention facilities (because the ones that we presently have won't deal with the onslaught, apparently?)
  • Declare war on sanctuary cities. These are cities who do not actively seek out a person's immigration status, helping to shield them from deportation. I actively support cities standing up to Trump over this! (The order also calls for another 10,000 immigration officers to be hired, so that illegal immigrants can be ferreted out or something heinous like that.)
Remember that Obama was already the deporter-in-Chief. This sounds like it's going to get ugly.

There's also plenty of coverage discussing a proposed ban on muslims, suspension of refugee programs, shuttering visa programs for certain countries, and other horrific things. I guess we'll find out exact details tomorrow.

Some state news:
A lot of the crap that's happened or been proposed in the past couple of days would typically be enough to get a country that implemented it sanctioned by the US. I honestly hope that other countries are contemplating sanctions against the US for some of this vile shit.

Are you ready to laugh? Senior Trump administration figures using private email server. The double standards are mind-boggling.

I've added links to a couple of other blogs/sites trying to perform the same purpose as I am here. You can find those links over to the right. I thank these sites wholeheartedly for their work, as they are finding a lot of stuff that doesn't hit my daily reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment