Friday, January 27, 2017

Day 8: It's not getting better

There are so many rumors and vague proposals going around in the media. Today I've tried to boil things down to "What changed?" and major events.

First up: Two new executive orders. The first is a doozy.
  • Limiting refugees and banning people from Muslim countries. This is disgusting in so many ways. For a country as rich as America, to shirk international responsibilities like this is awful. Furthermore, targeting Muslim countries is downright awful. In addition, many have noticed that countries with Trump businesses in them didn't get hit. I read the following somewhere, and it resonated strongly with me: "... officially sanctioned religious persecution dressed up to look like an effort to make the United States safer". I have an Iranian physicist friend who lives in the USA. If she leaves at this stage to visit home, she will have great troubles getting back in. This is an awful bind to be in. (Full text) (Important response: the entire thing is illegal. I await the lawsuits.)
  • Building up the military. For a country that already spends more on military than the next 7 or so combined, this is over the top. Fiscal responsibilities be damned, I guess?
And some other things that happened:
The BBC gave an overview of the week in Trumpland, in case you want to relive it (I don't).

I also found a resource where somebody is classifying events as they happen under various causes for concern. If you're not scared by spreadsheets, you should take a look at it: Autocracy USA

No comments:

Post a Comment