- Three balanced perspectives on why the new bill is terrible.
- A liberal perspective on why the new bill is utterly garbage.
In other news:
- Nations targeted by the new Muslim ban are vocally objecting, as is the UN. Hawaii looks to be the first state to file suit against it.
- Trump needs to pay for a wall. So, to fund a tiny fraction of the wall, he's proposing to cut funding to the TSA and the Coast Guard. A colleague put this nicely: "Sure, that makes sense. Cut programs deemed as effective in deterring terrorism in order to pay for 1% of a pointless physical barrier that addresses a fictitious problem."
- Jason Chaffetz proposed that people "invest" in their healthcare by forgoing smartphones. Note: forgoing an iPhone will allow you purchase about a month of healthcare coverage. Also, "investing" implies that you have extra funds to use. This is straight up classism.
- Trump's continued use of Mar-a-Lago as an alternative base of operations is causing issues with people paying for access to his cabinet, a serious conflict of interest.