- A devastating chemical attack in Syria has hit hundreds, with a death toll likely to exceed 100. This is very likely the Assad regime, under the continuing protection of Russia. The US officially blames Assad and Obama. Because Trump would rather blame Obama instead of Putin.
- As forewarned, the zombie of a Republican healthcare bill has emerged. It looks like they're planning on gutting protections for existing conditions to help out with their conservative hardliners. I'm sure that will be popular with the people.
- More Congressional Review Act fuckery. This is getting such a workout. This time, Republicans have undone legislation that required workplaces to keep track of workplace injuries, reducing their paperwork requirements to just 6 months.
- The Senate has formally taken up Gorsuch's nomination vote. Fireworks expected soon. Mitch McConnell looks likely to use the nuclear option, which is really devastating for this place. McConnell has both no memory and no morals, and McCain continues to be a dick, saying he'll vote to change the rules, but warns that it's the end of the senate. Shakesville does him justice: "[McCain] pretend[s] to be a man of integrity, only to put party above country every time that it counts".
- The US has withdrawn funding from the UN Population Fund (which provides maternity services globally), based on the State Department presently not functioning (and a pretty shitty argument about China). This is somewhat devastating for those who are served by it. Once again, the administration demonstrates that it thinks it can achieve world peace by military might, rather than by building community. This is completely backwards.
- Sessions has begun the process of undoing all police reform movements. Let me quote for you: "This raises the question of whether, under the current attorney general, the Department of Justice is going to walk away from its obligation to ensure that law enforcement across the country is following the Constitution." This is fucking terrifying.
- Speaking of the State Department, the agency is still completely understaffed. Because it was so important to get Obama's people out of there pronto.
Wednesday, April 5, 2017
Day 75: Chemical Attack
Still no good news, folks. If I find it, you'll see it here, I promise!