- Embarrassing news for the administration today. That armada they were sending to Korean waters? It was in the freaking Indian ocean, traveling in the *opposite direction* for three days. Apparently it's now headed to Korean waters, but it'll take another week to get there! Makes you wonder what the purported Chinese and Russian "shadow" armadas were doing, too.
- On the subject of North Korea, Trump doesn't actually know who's in charge...
- In incredibly shady work by ICE, a DACA (aka "dreamer") was deported in February. He's now suing the government.
- Trump signed a new Executive Order today, the so-called "Buy America, Hire America" order. It's a first attempt at culling the H1-B visa category for skilled foreign workers. This goes hand-in-hand with his xenophobic isolationist agenda. (Full text)
- Dangerous news from Turkey, where a program of consolidating power in the authoritarian leader is underway. A hotly-contested "referendum" has given the president vast new powers, and Trump called him to offer congratulations. Because Trump has no idea what is going on, and isn't listening to his advisors who actually know. Oh wait, no, he fired them back in January...
- Ivanka Trump's brand is doing really well this year. She was awarded a bunch of Chinese trademarks after having dinner with the Chinese President (that doesn't sound shifty at all), and you know how Kellyanne Conway said to go buy her stuff? Sales rocketed that week. I'm disgusted.
- Some good news: Most industries and Trump aides are pushing to stay in the Paris climate agreement.
- Holy shit. Spicer is arguing that more transparency is unnecessary, even harmful? How can you argue that politicians should be less transparent with a straight face?
- At the Easter Egg Roll yesterday, Trump bullied a child who wanted his autograph, then laughed about it. This is absolutely disgusting.
Wednesday, April 19, 2017
Day 89: Special Election #2
The big news tonight is that Jon Ossof captured 48.3% of the vote in Georgia's 6th district special election today. Unfortunately, not quite enough to win the district outright, so a runoff election will be held in June. Fingers crossed.